Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Zondi win sounds clear Dusi warning




Shongweni based Dusi star Sbonelo Zondi has factored himself right into contention for The Unlimited Dusi K1 podium race after a solid victory in a key pre-Dusi race that aims to replicate the tough portages of the Dusi first stage.

Zondi struck gold with a hard fought win in the Hi-Q Marathon at Albert Falls Dam, a key Dusi seeding race, in the process beating serious podium threats Cam Schoeman and Lance Kime.

The win will boost the confidence of the 23 year old, who has never managed to race onto the podium at The Unlimited Dusi K1 race, despite repeat wins in The Unlimited Non-Stop Dusi.

“I was a bit lucky to have won because a lot of the top guys were away but I needed to push hard to try improve my seeding ahead of Dusi because being on the front row is very important for me because I’m not quickest on flat water so I’ll have to everything I can to hang onto the guys’ waves before Ernie Pearce (Weir),” explained Zondi.

“I had to work very hard to win at Albert Falls because Lance (Kime) and Cam (Schoeman) are both super strong at the moment, especially Cam on the water, and I had to dig deep to catch him on the run.”

The win could well be the spark needed to motivate himself to compete for a top three finish this time around given the depth of talent set to take part in this year’s race.

“It was nice to win a race again but maybe the guys will be watching me more now. It might not be completely a bad thing if someone is worried about you though so I’ll have to make sure I really work hard on day one of this year’s Dusi and see how things go from there,” he added.

Despite the win having blown his own cover somewhat it is unlikely many on the front two seeded rows of the field had neglected to consider the threat the fast developing paddler poses, particularly on the more running weighted first day.

“Day one is definitely my favourite day of the three,” said Zondi. “I can run well so hopefully I can try get ahead of some of the other guys and then when we get to day two, which isn’t my best day, I can just hang on and try stay ahead.”

“I’ve been running about three times a week recently and have been training hard and my body has been feeling good. I haven’t had any problems or injuries and my legs are feeling strong so I’ll just have to monitor my training over the next two weeks and then see how things go on the day,” he added.

Having experienced the emotions and levels of satisfaction that come with finishing on the podium previously in a double, Zondi is determined to give it his all in 2013 in a single.

“My main goal is to try finish in the top five at this year’s Dusi and if I can get onto the podium it would be a bonus. If I did finish in the top three though it would be an absolute dream come true though!” said Zondi.

“I’ve just got to keep working hard and then see how things work out on the day. If I don’t make many mistakes and just do the right things then who knows, maybe I can challenge the guys at the front this year.”

“I think I can compete but it will be very tough. Everyone is focusing on trying to beat Andy (Birkett) but there is also Thulani (Mbanjwa), Hank (McGregor), Len (Jenkins), Ant (Stott), Jason (Graham) and many more too so it will be very hard but I’m looking forward to it!” he added.

Competitors line up for the start of The Unlimited Dusi on the 14th of February at Camps Drift, and the race ends at Blue Lagoon in Durban on 16 February 2013. More information can be found at www.dusi.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment