Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It's Green for Go as Jock continues his career

Jock Green will be riding his last race in the colours of Barloworld on Sunday, but it certainly won't be his last Pick 'n Pay 94.7 Cycle Challenge.

While starting a full time job at a vehicle dealership next year, Green has been convinced by Konica Minolta manager, John Robertson, to also sign up with his team for the year.

"I actually made the decision in July to stop racing at the end of the year. I've always had the goal in my life to race as a full-time professional for a trade team in Europe. After my two year stint with Barloworld I achieved that, so for me there wasn't more that I would have liked to do as a professional," said Green.

"But when I got back to South Africa John contacted me with a proposal for next year. He has a host of good youngsters in his team and wanted me to come on board as a mentor for the guys," said Green.

"So while I'll be racing with the team, the big focus for me will be to guide these youngsters and helping them to gain experience from my knowledge. It's quite exciting, and that's the reason why I agreed to sign on for the year.

Konica Minolta will again embark on an extensive European programme next year, but Green won't be travelling overseas with the team. "I am fortunate that Warren Banfield (dealer principle of Tommy Martin GM in Krugersdorp) has agreed to the deal and will afford me enough time to train in between my work commitments," he said.

Banfield is a huge benefactor of cycling in South Africa, sponsoring the likes of HSBC in the past and he still sponsor's Gary Beneke's Di-Data veterans outfit.

After a professional career spanning more than 15 years, Green certainly has a wealth of experience and knowledge. Besides a talented racer, he has always been renowned for his immense dedication and disciplined approach to cycling, and these are the two single biggest factors in shaping a successful pro cyclist.

"I know it would have been very difficult for me to stop racing all together, so in a way the Konica Minolta deal can almost be regarded as a way to wean me off the racing side slowly," said Green.

Without their sprinter, Jock and his Barloworld teammates will have their work cut out for them in Sunday's Cycle Challenge. Giosue Bonomi broke his wrist in a crash at the weekend, which has left Barloworld with possibly the best talent in the race, but without a sprinter to finish things off for them.

Jock was also left nursing bruises after the big crash at the Bakwena Post Office Classic on Sunday, but received the all-clear on Tuesday to race.

He has taken part in every edition of the Cycle Challenge since the inception nine years ago, "so I'm very happy that I'm not missing out on the tenth anniversary edition," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment