Tuesday, November 28, 2006

NO SWEAT FOR TOP SEEDS AT SAA NATIONAL TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Both the men’s and women’s top seeds lost just two games apiece as they stormed into the second round of the SAA National Championships played at the Wanderers Tennis Club on Tuesday. Izak van der Merwe defeated Michael Hills of Gauteng North 6-1 6-1 while Lizaan du Plessis accounted for Veronique Luksich of Gauteng Central by the same score. Van der Merwe, who has represented South Africa at Davis Cup level, said despite the comfortable score line, it had not been easy for him on court. “I have not had much practice at high altitude but I hope to get better and improve as the tournament goes on. I want to take it one match at a time, cut down on unforced errors and maintain consistency throughout.”

Du Plessis was very happy with her performance as she was coming back from a three-month layoff but did express her concern about the weather. “I still need to work on my fitness level which is not up to scratch at the moment. I hope to go all the way in the tournament but it is going to be tough since I struggle in the heat.”
Men’s second seed Pieter Calitz was also not too hard pressed to oust Daneel Mathinus 6-3 6-1, a player he has beaten every time they have met. “Obviously knowing that he has never beaten me gave me a lot of confidence. He is a very good player with a big serve but what worked in my favour was how well I played the return ball,” said Calitz. “The courts are fast and if I can manage to settle well, get the shot going and the points coming, then I have a very good chance of progressing in the tournament.”

Michael de Jongh caused the first upset when he put out fifth seeded Rikus Becker of Gauteng North 6-3 6-3, while fourth seed Heinrich Heyl had to battle in the opening set before overcoming Andre Grobler from Eastern Province 7-5 6-1. Although unseeded, one player who could make them all gallop if he produces his best form is former Tour player Louis Vosloo. He certainly started off well enough, scoring a 6-2 6-0 victory over qualifier Gavin Smith of Western Province.

In the women’s draw there were also good wins for third seed Dennett Rachelle, fifth seeded Chantal Simpson and sixth seed Annelie van der Heever. Wednesday has some interesting matches with top seed Van der Merwe taking on highly regarded junior Hendrik Coertzen, Rikus de Villiers facing Jean Anderson, as well as the battle of the “old timers” as Vosloo faces his doubles partner De Jongh.

Play on Wednesday starts at 09h30.

No comments:

Post a Comment