Sunday, January 07, 2007

Charity Trust Golf Round, The Day After

The day after the Nedbank Golf Challenge at Sun City, the Sport Trust hold a charity event to raise funds and it seems as if it is very successful, so successful that the Trust was given a check for R2 000 000 at the awards dinner after the round.

But what is it like to play the Gary Player Country Club, the day after twelve of the best gofers in the world have done the very same thing? In a word, tough. In two words, very very very very tough.

In four rounds at the Nedbank Golf Challenge, winner, Jim Furyk shot a total of 276 shots, walked 24km, braved 38 degree centigrade heat and won $1.4 Million for the effort.

I am by no means a great golfer; in fact, I can’t even claim to be a good or average golfer. I am a true beginner. My handicap has just jumped to 23, which is a huge effort I might add. Walking the Gary Player Country Club with my team-mates on the Monday afternoon has got to be one of the greatest golfing days of my life. But let’s start at the start.

I won the media prize after playing in the ‘final round’ on the same course, three weeks before the Challenge. Thanks to a Scramble system and some great playing partners, the four of us won the prize to return to Sun City and play the course at its toughest. Always willing to accept a challenge, I stayed for the extra day after the Challenge and warmed up for the round of my life.

Tee off was at Midday. Who said that only mad dogs and Englishmen went out then? They were right, those two and lucky golfers. Little to no wind and a sun that beats down on you like a troop of drummers with no ears was the order of the day. A good breakfast from the club house and we were off. Standing on the 1st tee, where Jim and Ernie and Charl had stood not twenty four hours ago was an honour. Hitting my 1st drive right onto the 9th fairway wasn’t.

From the 1st shot of the day, my caddie, Ronald, knew he should have chosen another player. Ronald was one of the most patient men I have ever walked with. Always handing me the club I needed, opening a new box of balls when my new Srixon flew short on the 11th hole into the ditch. Always, very kindly, showing me exactly which way my drive was headed, and strangely, he hardly ever pointed in a straight line.

All weekend people were telling me about the 17th hole at the Gary Player Country Club. On a regular day, it's not too tough. A slight right to left dog-leg with a little water at the start, then a long second shot onto a green with water at the front, left and slightly behind. That would be on a regular day. The day after the Nedbank is not a regular day. Not this Monday. This Monday saw a drive having to carry 200m just to make the other side of the dam, 220m to make the fairway. My whole round at the Gary Player that day was leading up to the 17th. Forget about the 550m par 5, 14th hole. That was a breeze, drive down the right, 3 wood to the left, 7 iron short of the waste bunker, wedge into the waste bunker, wedge again into the waste bunker, wedge over the green, chip onto the green, 3 putt. Please, I have seen the best in the world do that.

No worries standing on the tee at 11. The stroke 10 hole used to be the toughest hole on the course. Thanks to my modern ball and great driver, I can easily clear the ravine, unless I slice it the way I did. There went Ronald, risking snakes and ticks to find my ball to the right in those trees.

The par 5 ninth is also a hole that should put dread in any poor golfer, such as myself, but not really. I love it. In fact, I have birdied the 9th, unlike most golfer at the Nedbank, I might add.

The 17th, water water everywhere. The sun was setting straight behind the Lost City. The wind had been picking up all afternoon and was now blowing straight into us. Not only do we have to carry 200m but we also have to drive straight into the wind. We patiently waited as the Sport Trust guys in front, who are carrying their own bags, remember, walk around the water and play their second. We hid behind the advertising boards to get out of the sun, then I am up. Grip, stance, head behind the ball, slow back-swing and RIP!!!! Massive slice, the ball is sailing off to the right but IT CLEARS THE WATER! I am so excited I jump as if I have sunk a birdie on the 18th to win. My playing partner asks if I had intentionally aimed it off right to avoid the water and I admit to having stuffed the shot up. Golf is an honest sport.

After that the 17th got bad. Rough up to my calves, a green that was made of concrete with slopes like you can't believe, but ti didn't matter, I cleared the water.

Six hours after starting the round, my 4-ball sat drinking out Pilsners at the club house, looking out as the workmen were clearing the grandstands that make the Nedbank Gold Challenge. Six hours of lost balls, long drives and short chips. Six hours of sun, wind, sand and laughs. Six hours of walking the very same course that Jim did the day before. Six hours of shooting the same score he did in four days.

Here is to the Nedbank Golf Challenge. Proving that they really are the 12 best gofers in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment