Thursday, January 18, 2007

Mbanjwa first black man to win a Dusi stage

Michael Mbanjwa made history in the first stage of this years edition of the Hansa Powerade Dusi when he placed first. This makes history as he is the first black paddler to ever win the first stage of the three day event.

A delighted Mbanjwa said that he drew strength from Robert Lembethe when he passed his house.

“As you know Robert Lembethe was the one who helped me to start paddling. He passed away last year, but I was praying when I went passed his house. I said to him in my own way that he should come with me and give me strength. It was amazing because I fell out of my boat near the start and I must have been in 20th or 21st place – to win this stage was difficult, but I am very happy that I managed to do it” said Mbanjwa.

Mbanjwa’s incredible performance has been lauded by the canoeing fraternity.

“He was absolutely incredible and showed enormous guts to come back like he did” said Ray de Vries spokesman for the event.

“He raced in front of his home crowd – he comes from the Valley near KwaXimba. We haven’t seen anything like this before – the crowds were going mad as they egged him on.

Mbanjwa starts the second day 27 seconds ahead of Ant Stott who tried furiously to beat Mbanjwa, but couldn’t reel him in.

In the ladies race, Abbey Miedema beat Laura Thompson to win the first day stage.

A number of paddlers ended up in hospital with injuries.

“Netcare 911 took six people to St. Annes hospital in PMB. Four of them were for disclocated shoulders, a back injury and a German participant who hurt his ribs. Apart from those incidents it was a great day for the organizers” said de Vries

No comments:

Post a Comment