Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Lose at Soccer, Blaim the Ref

Why is it that a loosing team always blames the referee or umpire? "Accept the loss" is what I say. Imagine if I blamed a bad show on the listeners. Today, SAPA are reporting that both of the teams that lost in the semi-finals of AFCON blame thier respective referees for thier poor performance. I might agree with Senegal, who shold have been given a penalty, but that is the game.

While I am on this little wave, I think that technology should be kept out of sport. I understand that careers could be made or broken with a bad desition, but that is the nature of sport. Same as a player makes a bad stroke, sometimes an umpire does the same thing. To many of tem and they get dropped. Umpires and refs should be checked all the time and if they are bad, they get demoted, same as a player.

I hear Mike Haysman say to use technology where you can. That's not cricket, it's TV playing cricket. Cricket is between 22 men with 2 officials. Deal with it.

In the Super 14 coming up, how many times will we see the "TMO" (isn't that a cute name) with all of the related sponsorship popping up on our screen? If the ref is too lazy to keep up with the players and the touch line official is also to fat ad lazy, they should not be doing thier jobs!

Simple, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment