Saturday, February 18, 2006

Telkom PGA Champs

I have just walked off the Woodmead Golf Course at the Johannesburg Country Club and all I can say is that I hope the weather cools down. I was in a fourball with Terry Paine MBE and Bruce Vaugn from the USA. Bruce was the Pro in our little Pro-Am.

Terry Paine MBE scores a hole in one, so he is raving around the club house. Come to think of it, he still owes me a beer.

The Telkom PGA takes place from tomorrow with free entrance to the Country Club as well as free entrance to The World of Golf, which is my local hangout. If you ever get a chance, go and see it for yourself. You wan't get a better chance than this weekend.

Back to the golf. I played average, which wasn't too bad. My driver is working so there is just a little work to do on the middle game and the putts.

As the tournament has gone, it seems as if Woodmead is playing easier. My caddie, on Wednesday, was amazed at just how wide the fairways were and I was surprised at how short the rough was. I have walked the Gary Player Country Club at Sun City and that rough is rough. Woodmead as sort of average and certanly not tough for a seasoned pro as these guys are. In fact, I played some great shots out of the rough.

The scores are showing it though and the fact that there are some unkowns at the top of the leaderboard also shows it.

I have an invite to play Woodmead again some time soon and I will let you kow what the difference is between tournament weekend and normal weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment