Friday, December 01, 2006

The Rain in Sun City falls mainly on the golf course

I have kept on going on about the City of the Sun but the more you talk about things, the more things will not be like that. It's like talking up a great batsman and he gets knocked off for a 1st ball duck. The rain gods have shown their anger and cooled the day down but it does mean that play has stopped on day 2 of the Nedbank Golf Challenge. Things were just starting to get interesting here with Jim Furyk running away with the tournament. The balding American is 3 strokes clear of his nearest rivals, that of Henrick Stenson and South African favourite (at least my favourite) Charl Schwartzel. They are both on 6 under par.

The Goose is just a stroke further back with Padraig Harrington, Trevor Immelman and Ernie Els also on 5 under par.

I wonder what the players get up to during a rain break. It must be quite disconcerting to keep on wondering if you will or if you won't get to go out again. Golfers talk about rythym, working the course and getting a feel of the rub of the green but now everything will change. The rythym will have to restart, the greens will be slower and the fairways will not run as far. I realise that the men on the links are in the top 20 in the world, but it must not be one of the best times.

Can they have a beer? Do they eat? I really should ask.

Tonight's party is the famous Media Dinner. The theme is "Pirates of the Caribbean". I am not sure how much of it I will remember but I am sure that "his great benevolence" will help me out. He is a little of a girl. Actually he won't because he is bailing in favour of his family tomnight. Ha ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment