Friday, April 07, 2006

SAB Sports Jouno Awards

On 11 May, 2006, "The annual SAB Sports Journalists of the Year Awards will be announced at a fabulous evening event on 11 May 2006 at the Sandton Convention Centre."

Now, I dislike awards evenings at the best of times, but this one just doesn't sit right with me and it hasn't for as long as Ii have been a able to enter them. And there is the rub. It's not an award where people nominate you or a panel of judges go through who they think are the best. Nope, this one, you have to enter yourself. Once you have entered, with demo or article or tv piece, then the judging panel go through and choose the best one.

There are a couple of issues here. one of the biggest is that people who present small bullitens on commercial radio stations don't stand a chance. There is no award for people who can deliver a 5 minute bully with insight and meaning, so these people don't enter. Many people just can't be bothered with enetering because it is hard work. To take a year's worth of material and put it into a 10 minute demo takes hours of choosing, editing and fixing up. Therein lies another problem. The demo is so not real that it is a little lie. I sound great with an editing machine cleaning up stupid questions and fixing guests to answer right.

So what happens is that the same people enter every year and the rest of us go for a major pissup. Ok, there is nothing wrong with enjoying some of the sponsor's brew, but don't give out awards to people who don't deserve it. Don't get me wrong, I won last year, so this is not sour grapes, but I am sure that there are more deserving the award than I.

I am going to drink, and I am going to enter, so wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment